** £40 discount for booking 5 days or more! **

What is CPC

Questions answered

How much training do I need?

You must do 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive a lorry, bus or coach. See a list of our dates here
You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving professionally if your Driver CPC expired before 1 March 2020.

When do I need to do CPC?

Your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification lasts for 5 years. To keep your Driver CPC you need to do 35 hours of training before your 5-year deadline.
The deadline to do your training is shown on your card.
It’s up to you when you take the training courses, as long as you do them within the 5-year period.

Our training courses

All our approved Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) courses count towards periodic training. We have been delivering CPC courses for over 8 years now.
Our online courses which run during COVID-19 lockdows can be attended by anyone regardless of where you live. If we are too far away from you, consider looking at the .gov website to find a course nearer you, click here... Find CPC courses to attend.
The minimum length of a training course is 7 hours.

Our ADR courses count too...

Our ADR classes also count for up to 28 hours for your CPC. We deliver ADR courses roughly every two months throughout the year, more details and latest dates fo our ADR (transporting dangerous goods) courses can be found here

There are many other courses you can do that will count towards your CPC hours. Contact DVSA if you want to check whether a course counts towards your training. DVSA Driver CPC  cpcre@dvsa.gov.uk

Can you do the same course more than once?

No!, not any more. You can only take the same course more than once in each 5-year period if you have a good reason to repeat it - for example, maintaining a dangerous goods qualification.
If you do not have a good reason, DVSA can cancel the hours you got from the course. You might lose your Driver CPC card if cancelling the hours takes your total back under 35 hours.

Repeating a non-Driver CPC course

You cannot repeat non-Driver CPC courses during your training period.
The only exception is training in ADR. You can take 2 7-hour ADR courses during the 5-year training period. If you do this, you cannot count any other non-Driver CPC courses towards your training.

CPC courses in Dundee


Taking a training course

You must take one of these to your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) training course:

  • a photocard driving licence
  • a valid passport
  • a digital tachograph card
  • a Driver CPC card

You’re required to attend courses, but there are no tests or exams to pass at the end of them. Instead, you’ll get a certificate of attendance. It belongs to you - your employer is not allowed to keep it.

What is CPC training record

The training centre will put your training on your Driver CPC training record.

Contact the centre where you did your training if it is not showing on your record 5 days after the course.

Getting your Driver CPC card

You’ll get your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) card when you’ve done 35 hours of periodic training. The card is sometimes called a ‘driver qualification card’ or ‘DQC’.
You must carry this card while driving a lorry, bus or coach professionally. You can get a £50 fixed penalty for driving professionally without your card.
You must replace your card if it’s lost or stolen.

When you’ll be sent your card

You’ll get your new Driver CPC card straight away if you complete your training in the 12 months before your deadline.

If you complete your training more than a year early

You will not get your new Driver CPC card until nearer the time your current card expires. You can check when you’ll get your new card.

How the card is sent to you

Your Driver CPC card will be sent automatically to the address on your driving licence. You need to change this address first if it’s wrong.
You only need to apply for your card if you did some of your periodic training in an EU country.
The Driver CPC card does not have your address on it, so you do not have to get a new one if your address changes.
The photo and signature on your photocard driving licence will be used on your Driver CPC card.

Waiting for your card

You can still drive professionally if you’ve done your periodic training and you’re waiting for your new Driver CPC card to arrive.

If your card does not arrive

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you do not receive your new card within 20 days of the date you’re due to get it.

Driver CPC card replacements

Telephone: 0300 123 7721
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

Tachograph Cards

When is it OK to drive without a tacho card?

If you have had a tacho card issued which is still valid, but it has been lost, stolen or damaged to the extent that it will not function in the digital tachometer of your vehicle, you can still lawfully operate that vehicle within certain limits. The card must be permanently lost, though. If it has simply been mislaid, forgotten or left behind, the driver is required to retrieve it, and cannot engage in work-based driving until they have done so.

In order to be driving without a digital tacho card you must:

  • Inform the DVLA (or DVLNI, if applicable) that your card has been lost, stolen or damaged. If you realise the card is lost, stolen or damaged outside of the replacing agency’s normal working hours, you are required to report it as soon as possible during their open hours.
  • You must inform your superior, and anyone else your employer requires of you.
  • You must apply for a new card immediately, which will cost £19 unless you are applying for a replacement for a faulty card.
  • You must make a hardcopy printout from your digital tachograph at the beginning or end of each journey you make, and record your name and DL number on the back of each page.
  • You must keep these records available for inspection for 28 calendar days, and must then pass them to the vehicle operator.
  • You can only drive without a tacho card for a maximum of 15 calendar days. The DVLA is required to issue you a new card within 5 working days, so this should not be a huge problem.
  • If your card has expired, you effectively don’t have one. You will need to wait until a replacement card is in your hand before you can start driving again. Manual entries for 15 calendar days can only be made if a driver’s card has been lost, damaged, stolen or is malfunctioning.

Operator License changes coming soon!

New laws requiring firms to obtain operator licences if they undertake international work with vehicles less than 3.5-tonnes could be the start of a licensing regime for all UK vans, according to transport lawyers.

From 21 May 2022 vans with a maximum authorised mass of over 2.5-tonnes and up to 3.5-tonnes that are transporting goods for hire and reward internationally, will be subject to the O-licensing system. Operators will need to be able to show they have enough finance to maintain their vehicles and also have a transport manager in place.

Mike Hayward, head of Woodfines regulatory team, said the change in the law could be the start of further enforcement of light goods vehicles. “Perhaps it’s not too far away for UK vans,” he said. “You can see the industry would be interested in that on the basis of the current delivery network: it’s not subjected to the same level of drivers’ hours legislation and all of those aspects. You can see merit in having that attached to the van network.”

The traffic commissioners referred to the overhaul in their latest annual report and said they were preparing for the new regulations. “If operating internationally they will be required to apply for an operator’s licence and have transport managers for vehicles that have previously been outside the traffic commissioners’ remit,” the TCs said.